That About Sums it Up

Yesterday, in the hallway at church, I stood talking to a friend who is also pregnant and due the same time I am.

“It’s horrible,” she told me, “but all I feel like doing is laying on the couch.”

“Believe me, I totally understand,” I answered. “I’m having a hard time keeping up with everything. My family’s consumption of Hamburger Helper has gone through the roof.”

She laughed.

“Yeah, that and macaroni and cheese, and cheese sandwiches, and pre-cooked rotisserie chickens from the store,” she said. “Sometimes, I just call my husband and ask him what he’s going to do for dinner because I’ve got nothing.”

As we wound up our conversation, one of the men in our ward came up to me and asked when he could come home teach my family (our church sets things up so you get visited every month by other members so we are all watching out for each other). We settled on a time, then started talking about life (I have known him since we were both in elementary school).

After awhile, he mentioned that he needed to go take care of something.

“I don’t know about you,” he sighed, “but I just can’t accomplish anything in church while I have my kids. I spend the whole time dealing with them because they’re being little hellions.”

I smiled and nodded knowingly.

“Sean and I have conversations about it all the time. I can’t tell you how many Sundays we come home, look at each other, and say ‘What exactly did we get out of being there today?’ Most of the meeting is just spent doing damage control. Of course, our answer is that we are doing what we are supposed to, whether we are getting as much from it as we would like to or not, and we are setting a good example for our kids. Someday, they’ll sit still. I hope.”

And that is why friends are important. Just two short conversations, but I spent the rest of my day knowing that there are other people who understand. I’m not alone. The other people living it get it.


I kept all of my kids home from church yesterday after Noah woke up with crusty eyes. By last night, Caleb’s one eye was turning red.

This morning, Caleb was into full-blown pink-eye when he woke up. Noah walked upstairs with his eyes firmly closed. When I instructed him to open them so he didn’t run into anything, he informed me that he couldn’t. They were glued shut. It took a few minutes of laying down with a washcloth on his eyes before he could finally force them open.

And, just for fun, Eli still has thick yellow/green snot coming out of his nose, despite the fact that he has been on antibiotics for a week now.

Despite the fact that I called first thing, the pediatrician only had three appointments available for the rest of the day. I couldn’t get the kids in until 2:40.

It’s not even lunchtime yet, and I think my day is already pretty much summed up.


Leave a comment

Filed under Daily Life, Kids, Parenting, pregnancy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s